Check the Status of a Business or License
Use the business license search to find out if a person or business has a current business license
with the City of Kansas City, Mo. You can search for business or professional licenses by:
- Legal name and/or DBA ("doing business as") name, if one is provided
- Business address
- Type of business
All persons (sole proprietors, partnerships, and corporations) who conduct business in Kansas City, Mo., must obtain a business license for that activity. A license is valid for the year in which it is issued. Business licenses expire on Dec. 31 of each year.
This database is updated weekly and provides only current-year business license information for businesses that are considered “currently licensed” by the City of Kansas City, Mo. “Currently licensed” means the business has been issued a business license for the current year. This file will get larger as the year goes by because some businesses are slow in getting a license.
- When searching by name, address of description, you don't have to enter the full text. You can search on any part of it.
For example, if you were searching for the XYZ Chili Shack, you could enter "chili" or "chili shack"
or even "xy" and find it.
- When searching by name, please verify the legal name for the business. Business licenses are issued under legal names
- If you search by business address and find no match, try searching by name. If you search by name and find no match,
try searching by the business address.
- When searching by address, try entering just the house number or street name.
- The search will only provide information about business licenses issued by the Revenue Division. You can verify whether
a business is registered with a state agency below:
State of Missouri -- Secretary of State
State of Kansas -- Secretary of State
For more information about Kansas City, Mo., business licenses, please contact the Business License Section at (816) 513-1135.